Building of the Constitutional court
About the building of the Constitutional Court
The building of the Constitutional Court, located at Avenue Erkindik, 39 (Dzerzhinsky Boulevard), was built in 1941, during the Great Patriotic War, according to the project of architect V.V. Veryuzhsky. The architecture of the building is in the spirit of classicism; the synthesis of architecture with monumental art, the facade is symmetrical, the entrance is accentuated by a portico and rich architectural decor is used.
The large sculptural bas-relief “Labor Kyrgyzstan” on the pediment frieze was made in 1940-1942 by the People’s Artist of the USSR Olga Maksimilianovna Manuylova. The frieze of the pediment was the first experience of using bas-relief in the external design of buildings in Kyrgyzstan. The composition of the relief is distinguished by plot and thoughtfulness in construction. On the frieze, the progressive movement of a group of people, consisting of workers, peasants, soldiers, and children, is unfolding.
From 1941 to 1991, the prosecutor’s office of the Kyrgyz SSR was located in the building, then the prosecutor’s office of Bishkek.
The Cabinet of Ministers of the Kyrgyz Republic, by Decree of October 1, 1991 No. 486 “On the distribution and further use of buildings and property of the Communist Party of Kyrgyzstan located in the city of Bishkek”, transferred the building to the balance of the Kyrgyz branch of Vnesheconombank of the USSR. In 1994, by Decree of the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic dated July 6, 1994 No. 473, the building was transferred to the balance of the Constitutional Court of the Kyrgyz Republic.
By the decision of the executive committee of the Frunze City Council of People’s Deputies of the Kirghiz SSR No. 339 dated July 9, 1981 No. 339, the building, as well as the frieze of the pediment “Labor Kyrgyzstan” were recognized as a monument of architecture and art.
By the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the Kyrgyz SSR dated September 13, 1988 No. 331, the building of the Constitutional Court of the Kyrgyz Republic is classified as a monument of the history of culture and art and is under state protection.
By the Decree of the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic dated September 7, 2017, the building with the adjacent territory, located at the address: Bishkek, 39А Erkindik Boulevard was transferred to the operational management of the Constitutional Chamber of the Supreme Court of the Kyrgyz Republic.